Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Deus ex machina

Google's policy change may have done what a week's worth of willpower couldn't: got me to stop blogging at work.

We use Internet Explorer at my office. Blogger stopped working properly for me today, and I haven't looked it up but I think that's because Google changed how Blogger works on IE. I might be able to post something from work, but it would be harder and uglier than it used to be, so I'm writing at home at the moment.

Still, I was busy today. My fourth project, long-inactive, became active, so I had to respond a bit to that. And I spent a lot more time this morning being industrious for the doomed project. After I did a fairly detailed edit of the new economic section, I set up the whole doomed project for a peer review. Luckily, I got all that done before afternoon ennui set in.

I also spent a while running in circles (well, "running in circles" in a desultory, all-by-e-mail sense of the phrase) about whether and how we would have to edit a related document - I had forgotten about it for the past month, and early this morning I thought a peer reviewer could do it, then I thought I'd have to, and the last word was that we didn't need to at all. Probably. Well, that's good news.

I've given the economist the benefit of the doubt more than SMEs, because in some ways he's been in the same predicament as me and because he hasn't been the cause of my problems. But after focusing as much as I can on his section, I'm feeling less friendly. His stuff was in a pretty rough shape, and while it's all my job, a lot of the edits were really basic stuff. More to the point, that whole "running in circles" bit was his fault. By now, the only people I can rely on are H., the lawyer, and my fellow tech writers. Us against the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment