Thursday, April 12, 2012

Purely pointless

"I am offended as a taxpayer," H. frequently says to me. She's talking about the doomed project and how it has probably cost the government over a million dollars. There are a lot of people involved with it, people at the TMBB level probably make six figures annually, and even if this project is no one's full-time job by itself, the person-hours add up. If it hasn't cost a million yet, it almost definitely will eventually. That's just the process of creating the regulation, not counting enforcement or other costs. And that's for a rulemaking which, as I've said, was probably a bad idea from the start and should definitely have been done differently.

And it's on my mind because a meeting this morning made me feel something similar about the blackmail project. It's not nearly as big a waste, and the problem is a different type as well, but still, it was a bit discouraging.

No comments:

Post a Comment