Tuesday, February 21, 2012

If I cared, I'd be offended

You know, I really can be far more optimistic and good-natured than is reasonable.

Sure, the fact that blog exists is disrespectful to my supervisors in a way, and its content is full of negativity of various kinds. And while I don't talk about politics much here I'm pretty cynical in that sphere of life as well. Interpersonally, though, I'm sympathetic to a fault. H. and other people have expressed surprise at how willing I am to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I bring all this up because I realized that I probably do that too much. Sometimes people just fuck up, and sometimes that makes my job harder, and it would probably be more normal and healthy for me to resent them and think less of them for it. Maybe they're a good person overall just handling work badly, maybe not, who knows, but so what? They're still making my life harder for no good reason.

To combine two ongoing plot threads of this blog, the "well-meaning-but-dumb" boss is what I generally call someone in the context of being a bad speaker at meetings, but that person also happens to be one of H.'s bosses. A lot of the mismanagement of the doomed project is either done by him, or a result of him not handling others better. So what if he phrases requests politely? So did Bill Lumbergh, and Lumbergh was an asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment