Thursday, April 21, 2011

Somebody else's problem

I'm OK with being on a doomed project, really. I'm pretty sure I'm so far down the totem pole that responsibility would stop before me, so I'm not too worried about personal repercussions for the nearly inevitable failure. As for pride in a job well-done or shame at failure, they don't seem relevant here. As for doing this job well, the specifics of this project make me unsure whether it's even a good idea at all, and as for failure, as I've said, there are so many problems with it that its success is out of my hands.

And at least it's keeping me busy, which some projects don't. And as my types of work go, I personally prefer editing documents, which is what I happening to be doing here at the moment. Editing can sometimes be a fun, moderately creative challenge as I search for the mot juste or figure out another trick to Microsoft Word. It's certainly fun compared to writing new documents (it's not "writing", it's copy-pasting from documents written by other people and hoping like hell I didn't get things completely out of context) or organizing public comments.

It's other people on the team I feel sorry for. That guy on the team who doesn't know how to do his job isn't actually a bad guy, just clueless, and this is exactly the wrong kind of project to cut one's teeth on. And mainly, there's H., another team member and friend of mine. She's theoretically in charge of the whole project (theoretically. More on that later) and also happens to be the one person whose supervisor cares about the deadline. It's painful just watching her try to herd a team through an uncomfortable decision in a meeting. I might be too low for responsibility for failure to land on, but she isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment