Friday, October 21, 2011

Catching up

My bosses have said that the doomed project is my top priority, but I'm not really sure what I'm can be doing there right now. I think we're getting "close" to big "deadlines", but not as close to them as we were a week ago, since something else was added in. But no one has asked or told me to do anything about that yet.

So without any specific assignment, I spent a lot of my time yesterday cleaning up a spreadsheet, and I plan to do the same today. We created it to collect comments left by reviewers in four different Word documents. (Yes, this was a messy process full of unnecessary work, but it seemed like the thing to do at the time. See previous comments about version control.) I entered all the comments from one document before starting on the next, and didn't worry about any sensible order for them at the time, so that the first comment in the second document I happened to work on was in the row below the last comment of the first document.

But there is a logical way to organize this, so I've been going through and putting them in it. And no, I can't think of a way to use the Excel "sort" function here. So it's pretty mindless work, but it should be a bit useful in a couple weeks. Next time I do one of these I'll be more careful about how I create the spreadsheet, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment