Thursday, March 15, 2012

The dumbest request of the day

A recent e-mail had three comments on the blackmail project. One was moderately interesting and helpful. Then there was this, and another one that was much simpler than this but roughly equally important.
recommend the tech writer double check spacing between sentences. Seems there may be places where there are 3 spaces vice 2. But hard to tell.

If I hadn't thought of the "find" tool in Microsoft Word, checking that could easily have taken an hour in a document like this. Fortunately, I did think of it. I found four places in the 50-page document with three spaces in a row. Two of them were intentional in legal jargon; that's just how that specific jargon is normally formatted. One more was at the end of a paragraph, so it doesn't affect things at all. I found one sentence which actually had three spaces between it and shouldn't have.

Yup, that was a good use of my time, all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment