Thursday, December 1, 2011

Red-faced

Just a few minutes ago I went to talk to H. about several problems with the doomed project. While we were talking, something came up I hadn't noticed before now. A part of the project that's chiefly my job happens to be scheduled over Christmas. The schedule thinks I'll have seven days to do something, but once you factor in the official holiday and extra days I'll be out, it will be four at the most. I should have noticed this much earlier, or at the very least at a certain meeting yesterday, and it's sheer luck that it came up in this conversation, so I was a bit red-faced about it and consider myself lucky that we came up with a solution.

And then, five minutes later, I hear H. in my boss's office. (It is just on the other side of the wall from my cubicle, so I can hear laughter or raised voices but I can't make out the words of a conversation.) H. is laughing. Heh, um, whoops.

Seriously, nothing to worry about. H. called me when she got back to her desk to say that she had briefed my boss about the schedule conflict and its resolution in neutral terms, and the laughter was when they were talking about something that had happened this morning. And even if they had been ranting about me, well, H. and my boss both make it clear that they're happy with my work overall, so at the absolute worst it would just be an embarrassment. But no one likes to imagine people talking about them behind their backs.

No comments:

Post a Comment